La-La Land & Tinsel Town; BodyPerks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 8 06:33:23 UTC 2000

WSJ (continued)

     The Jon Lighter story that was in today's WALL STREET JOURNAL (page 1)
was a must-read.  Unfortunately, www.wsj.com is for paid subscribers only.
Every library just about everywhere should have this week's WALL STREET
JOURNAL, though.
     Jon Lighter got about $125,000 from Random House for what, TWENTY YEARS
of hard work?  Does anyone else (also, at the top of his or her field) make
less?
     Besides me... A few days ago, I saw my elected congresswoman, Carolyn
Maloney, fight for Lori Berenson--a probable terrorist.  This is a
congresswoman who won't even reply to me.
     Maybe we all need a lexicographic ACT-UP?  "SILENCE=LINGUISTIC DEATH."

LA-LA LAND & TINSEL TOWN (continued)

     The RHHDAS has a 1984 cite for "La-La Land" and "Tinseltown." Perhaps
Lighter has an earlier "Tinseltown," but we may never know.  I just did an
OCLC WorldCat check.
     "La-La Land" was definitely popular in the mid-1980s.  There are the
books EINSTEIN IN LA-LA LAND: A QUANTUM MEMOIR (1985) by Michael Golden and
IN LA-LA LAND WE TRUST (1986) by R. Wright Campbell.
     "Tinsel Town Hunter" (two words) by Kendrew Lascalles was recorded in
1972.  THE TINSELTOWN POETS: A PYGMALION ANTHOLOGY (1974) was published by
Pygmalion Press of Hollywood, California.
     Jan and Dean recorded a song called "Tinsel Town" (two words) in the
1970s--OCLC's WorldCat doesn't give the exact date.

BODYPERKS

     "Perks" is such a good word, but it's about to be ruined!
     The NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, 8-31-2000, pages 66-67, ran a story that you
couldn't miss.  Carmen Electra's photo took up two pages.
     It was a story about BodyPerks, a product developed by Lori Borghini.  A
Dow Jones database check shows that the story has also made the EXPRESS,
9-6-2000.  This is a story that, no doubt, will be busting out all over.
     BodyPerks makes huge fake nipples.  Supposedly, men pay attention to
this.
     "Perks" is a widely used business word.  What can possibly replace it?
TODAY:  "The pay is lousy, but there are great perks."
TOMORROW:  "The pay is lousy, but there are great perks.  Well, not those
great perks.  I mean, the thing that used to be called 'perks.'  You know..."