Paper Tiger; Tin; Photo Illustration

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 10 06:55:31 UTC 2000

PAPER TIGER

     PBS had an interesting "Look at China" last Friday night.
     OED has "paper tiger" from Chairman Mao only (1952).  I'm sure Fred
Shapiro has something better--what, I dunno.
     From the PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, 31 July 1885, pg. 4, col. 1:

     THE Chinese call a harmless blusterer "a paper tiger."  So, when
Richelieu Robinson was in Congress, the Chinese journals doubtless had
frequent occasions to report that the tail of the British lion was being
twisted by a paper tiger.

TIN (continued)

     I found that "tin=money" cite.
     From TEXAS SIFTINGS, 29 August 1885, pg. 6, col. 2:

_Wilkins' Star Proverbs_
(...)
     With an iron constitution, steel nerves, brass checks and a silver
tongue, man can line his pockets with gold and "tin."
--_Whitehall Times._

PHOTO ILLUSTRATION (continued)

     A short story about Friday's New York Daily News "photo illustration"
was in Saturday's New York Times, pg. B3.
     The "photo illustration" was of President Clinton shaking hands with
Fidel Castro, not Arafat.