more gapers

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 11 20:42:27 UTC 2000

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Bernard W. Kane wrote:

> Checked files: earliest I found was from traffic anncr on WFLN-FM
> Philadelphia on 12 August 1991
> next, visual on KYW-TV Philadelphia 30 March 1992
> Gaper Delay West on I-76

The earliest citation I can find in a few seconds of research is the
following:

1982 William Safire in _N.Y. Times_ 28 Feb. (Nexis)  A person whose
curiosity causes him to slow traffic is called a rubber-necker in Texas, a
gonker in Detroit and a lookie-lou in L.A.  Such obstructive gaping is
called gaper's block in Denver.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu