ach y fi

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Sep 15 15:49:53 UTC 2000

Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> writes:

Subject: Re: achyfi

>... See
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymru/tgau/welsh2nd/writing/writ_found_full_rev2.shtml

>for {ych a fi} in text.  Searching for {achyfi} on Google got me two
pages:
>something off Linguist-L and a bare word-list.  Searching for {ach y fi}
is
>no better.  But search for {ych a fi} and you'll find about 1,480 pages.
>think we can say that that's the right spelling.
>
>... the net sure is a hell of a research source.

Yes, it is, but the search engines have their peculiarities. Most of the
"1,480" pages are bogus. Google is returning hits on 'ych' OR 'fi' in this
case, I think.
<<<<<

This is why I use Alta Vista, which respects quotation marks as a grouping
notation instead of stripping them out and ignoring them.

-- Mark A. Mandel