"Play it again, Sam"

Miller, Jerry jmiller at FRANKLINCOLLEGE.EDU
Thu Sep 21 06:04:18 UTC 2000

Barry: I'm not sure what the problem is with the quotes site, but you might
want to try "Sam, play it." Bogart never actually says "Play it again, Sam"
in Casablanca. Allen (and many others) "cleaned" it up to suit their own
purposes.

Jerry Miller
jmiller at franklincollege.edu <mailto:jmiller at franklincollege.edu>

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Bapopik at AOL.COM [SMTP:Bapopik at AOL.COM]
        Sent:   Thursday, September 21, 2000 12:42 AM
        To:     ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
        Subject:        "Play it again, Sam"

             I went to www.quotationdictionary.com and typed in: Play it
again, Sam.  I got thousands of meaningless hits.  Then I typed in "Play it
again, Sam," and got nothing!
            What kind of a quotations site is this, anyway?
            The Woody Allen play PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM is from 1969, and his
movie is from 1972.
            From the VILLAGE VOICE, Bulletin Board, 27 January 1966 (It
might be in 1965--ed.), pg. 2, col. 2:

            "PLAY IT AGAIN SAM"
        GIANT PHOTO MURAL...43x30 Typical "Bogie" pose from one of his most
famous movie roles lithographed on poster stock...Shipped in protective
mailing tube. pp $2.00 Hudson Industries, 116 CHarles Street, New York, N.Y.
10014  Dept. VS