... woodpile

Fri Sep 22 16:33:31 UTC 2000

I had a similarly unsettling experience this summer when I was visiting my
son in Sarajevo.  His boss, from New Zealand, said something at dinner
about "the blacks" and the "silly" debate over Ebonics--and he said it as
if he assumed I would agree, with considerable surprise that I didn't.  I
wonder if (a lot of) people in other countries assume all Americans think
alike, and negatively, about such matters and so go through this wink-wink
nudge-nudge if-you-know-what-I-mean kind of circumlocution with us.