"clapboard" and transcription questions (was: Froe)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 23 04:08:47 UTC 2000

At 9:07 PM -0400 9/21/00, Anne Lambert wrote:
>Incidentally , how do you people pronounce "clapboard"? I tend to
>pronounce in /clab:@rd/.

['klaeb at rd] (where [ae] is the digraph and [@] the schwa--is your /a/
vowel different from the low front rounded of "cat" and "clap"?  are
you intending the [:] to represent a long or double [b]?)

Incidentally, did we ever decide whether we're using [@] for schwa,
or if not, what we're using?
In the absence of an ascii representation for either the digraph (my
[ae] above) or the written a, can we agree to use the typed [a] for
the latter (as in "on", "Don", "Hahn" for the majority of those
responding to the "back vowels" thread)?  And what DO we use for the
vowel of "cat"?  I do kind of like the [)] for open-o (backwards-c);
I'd never come across that before the current thread.

larry