Wapper-jawed

Michael Quinion words at QUINION.COM
Mon Sep 25 10:04:48 UTC 2000

A subscriber has asked me about the expression 'wapper-jawed',
of which I've found mention in OED2 and RHWUD. My references
over here in Britain are not comprehensive enough to determine
to what extent this expression is now current in the US, if at
all. My subscriber's co-worker says it actually means "askew",
which is at variance both with its construction and the sense
given in RHWUD. Guidance from local experts to help me supply a
more comprehensive answer will be most helpful and much
appreciated by all concerned.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words