Female Genitalia

Bill Smith wh5mith at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Sep 27 02:56:19 UTC 2000

In her stage show and book, _The Vagina Monologues_, Eve Ensler gives a list
of 35 examples of terms for the female genitalia, many of which I am not
familiar with.  I would appreciate information on any of these terms from
anyone who is familiar with them.

1. Which of the following are "little girl words"--terms that no
self-respecting female over nine years of age would use except with a little
girl--and which are not?
        "powderbox"             "poopelu"                "poochi"
"poopi"         "peepe"                "poonani"               "pal"
        "piche"                         "toadie"                    "dee
dee"            "nishi"           "monkey box"      "cooter"
"labbe"
        "sugar bowl"              "cooter"               "Gladys Siegelman"
"nappy dugout"  "horsespot"             "mongo"
        "pajama"                    "fannyboo"               "mushmellow"
"ghoulie"      "tamale"               "totita"                        "connie"
        "Mimi"                          "split knish"             "schmende"

2. How is the first vowel of "nishi" pronounced? [ai], [i], or [I]?

3. She includes "VA" (in caps).  Is that an initialism ([vi-e])?

4. She also has "dignity".  I have encountered that twice, in both instances
from an African-American woman reporting her grandmother's instructions for
bathing: "Wash as far as possible, and then wash possible."  Does it occur
in any other context?

5. She also has "coochie snorcher".  Neither of these appears in the 1992
ed. of the _Amer. Heritage Dictionary_, although I have "coochie" from
college-age informants.  Is "snorcher" a word, or is it an euphemising
nonsense term?

I was going to suggest that you reply to me personally, but, given the
prurience of this list, you may want to reply to everyone.  In either case,
thanks.