Real Time; "plausibly live"

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Sep 29 15:01:10 UTC 2000

"real time" in the contexts I've heard it means "every minute
represents one minute", not that it's live or anything.  (Granted,
I've not heard the Olympics broadcasts--no TV.)  For example, Mike
Figgis' recent movie _TimeCode:2000_ was said to be in 'real time'
since it's a 90 minute movie that chronicles a certain 90
(consecutive) minutes.  Figgis happened to do this with no camera
edits, so it's essentially a 90-minute play on film. (Although they
filmed it about 30 times in order to get the version he wanted.)
However, the film _Nick of Time_, which presumably took more than 90
minutes to shoot and then was whittled down to 90 minutes that
represent 90 minutes, is also claimed to be in "real time"

 From http://www.paramount.com/nickoftime/01.html:

This unique thriller propels you through the most important 90
minutes of a man's life in real time, 90 of the most exciting minutes
ever put on film.

Lynne, who really does do other things than read websites and go to movies
--
M. Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics