Ice

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 29 14:50:37 UTC 2000

Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>Does anybody have a handy reference to the old article(s) on
>alcohol-induced pronunciation effects (palataliztion among them of course)?

There were some relatively recent articles by David Pisoni and some
colleagues of his (including Keith Johnson?) with good reviews of the
literature; this work was precipitated by the Exxon Valdez oil spill
(and the question of whether the captain was drunk). Harry Hollien
also presented work on this topic at an Acoustical Society of America
meeting a few years back; I don't know whether it's been published
yet, but it's worth a lit search.

Alice
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963