Bucharest bits

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 30 11:31:10 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Bucharest.  It's _Bucharesht_.
   Romania is widely known for a blood-sucking human, but enough about William Safire.
   Yesterday I visited Aquincum (the Roman site at Budapest).  I have now seen every ROTAS square throughout the Roman Empire.
   I've got about ten minutes, so here goes.

SILICON SHIELD--Craig Addison used this term in Friday's Herald Tribune.  He's doing a book titled SILICON SHIELD, about Taiwan's role in the silicon industry.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T SCRAP IT--about the nuclear industry, used in the FT, 29 September 2000, pg. 16, col. 2.

CINCs--acronym used in Friday's Herald Tribune describing the regional Commanders-in-Chief.  It's pronounced "sinks," the article states--but why, I don't know.

Does OED have MAMALIGA, MITITEI, MOR LAM?  I'll post later!
FLYING BENEATH EVERYONE'S RADAR--This was used in the International Herald Tribune for Friday, in a story about ICANN (Internet Corporation for AAssigned Names and Numbers).  I saw it used in the 1950s 1960s, but since radar has changed, I haven't seen it recently.