I can tell you're not from here...

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Thu Aug 2 14:12:20 UTC 2001

This summer I was in Greenville, ME on Moosehead Lake where the summer
people are called "from away" by the natives.  Yesterday a student in my
online discussion group wrote:

O.K. a lot of you people "from off" are discussing the Apppalachian
dialect found in Athens. I know that I am not the only native
Appalachian. Why? Because I've heard at least two people talking who are
obviously from South of Hocking Hills.
--
Previously I had not heard either expression.  Are there other variants
across the country for native: non-native inhabitants?  That might be a