Coiner of "Flapper"?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 2 18:23:35 UTC 2001

   Not likely, since we have at least 1888.  His first humorous writing was in PUCK magazine in 1887.  I think I've heard this before, from Mencken.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 30 June 1939, pg. 16, col. 2:

_Harry Leon Wilson Dies at 72;_
_50 Years an American Humorist_
_Author of "Merton of the_
   _Movies" and "Ruggles." He_
   _Coined Word "Flapper"_
(...)
   When the play was produced in 1807 (THE MAN FROM HOME was not 1807.  1897? 1907?--ed.), the automobile was still a novelty and a line in the play--"You have sand in your box"--was picked up by drugstore cowboys.
   Later, Mr. Wilson was credited with originating "flapper" as descriptive of pert, young American womanhood.