Irish Soda Bread (1940)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 5 21:09:24 UTC 2001

   The OED has "soda bread" from 1850.  However, there is no mention at all of "Irish soda bread."
   Search for "soda bread" on a search engine, and you'll mostly get "Irish soda bread."  How many other soda breads are there?  When was this name first used?
   Anyway, greetings from Columbia University, where I found this in Clementine Paddleford's St. Patrick's Day column in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 16 March 1940, pg. 16, col. 8:

   A Broadway grocery near Columbia has fresh Irish soda bread.