research methodology

Tue Aug 7 12:48:13 UTC 2001

arnold,

For "extra credit" in my large intro to lang and cult class (300
persons), we often offer a time when students can "stop by" our lab
and be recorded. We sometimes "filter out" interesting subjects (but
for their phonology) and more extensively record them later. The
principle would apply, however, to other items of linguistic
interest; we have not had difficulty getting human subjects approval
for this way of doing things. Woking back from a (published) corpus
seems much dicier.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston