cabinet~milk shake

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 7 01:59:54 UTC 2001

At 11:29 PM -0700 8/6/01, Indigo Som wrote:
>A few years later on a visit to Manhattan I ordered a strawberry milkshake,
>believing that I was well out of cabinet territory. To my distress it
>turned out to be mostly milk with a wee bit of strawberry ice cream blended
>in, so it was sort of like strawberry milk, only colder & ever so slightly
>thicker. I realized this must be the infamous RI-style "milkshake". But
>never found out: is NYC usually cabinet territory or not? The place where I
>ordered the disappointing milkshake didn't have cabinets on the menu.
>
>Indigo Som
>indigo at well.com

NYC is definitely non-cabinet territory, at least for the potable
kind.  There are malted milks (a.k.a. malteds) and milk shakes, the
former obviously containing malt.  (Also, of course, egg creams,
containing neither, but syrup, milk, and seltzer.)  The first time I
had a "cabinet" in RI it tasted like a (New York) milkshake to me, so
I'm not sure they're really different beasts.  Maybe you just got a
poorly made one in NY (it happens).

larry

Old joke, Yinglish accent de rigueur:

"Make me a malted."