Greek Salad (1941)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 12 15:16:02 UTC 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    OED editor Jesse Sheidlower recently contacted me with a 1947
> "Greek Salad," beating my 1950 "Greek Salad."
>    From Clementine Paddleford's column (about Greek food) in the NEW
> YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 18 April 1941, pg. 20, col. 6:
>
>    Roast lamb, almost without exception, will feature at the Greek
> Easter Sunday dinner.  Potatoes will brown and sputter in the fat of
> the roasting pan.  Greek salad substitutes for vegetables made as it
> is of radishes, green onions, tomatoes, lettuce--all dressed cozily in
> a film of good oil.

Here's an earlier citation:

1935 Clifford Odets _Awake and Sing_ in _Three Plays_ 45  Take 'em all,
cut 'em in little pieces like a herring in Greek salad.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,