Flongs; Hasten Slowly

Sun Aug 12 23:51:07 UTC 2001

Two small items of interest in this story from The Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,2533389%255E12
280,00.html

Flongs:

"In its early years The Australian was edited and composed in Canberra. Its
flongs ­ the cardboard-like impressions of its hot metal pages ­ were flown
around the country by charter aircraft which were frequently grounded at
Canberra's notoriously foggy airport. The paper was printed in Sydney,
Melbourne, Brisbane and (for a time) Adelaide, adding huge costs."

Hasten slowly:

"We want to hasten slowly with our rollout and marketing because nobody
knows what the demand will be; what the implications will be for the printed
version; what impact it will have on masthead-branded websites; what
benefits it will bring to advertisers, or how cyber sales will be treated in
circulation audits."

--

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org