"My children are in the service"

Mon Aug 13 00:48:47 UTC 2001

Lose some, win some. But there are more "distinctions" in the
language now than in Shakespeare's time (what did he call a CD-ROM?,
but, as you suggest, old farts attach emotional value to the ones
lost (uninterested-distinterested is the one always stuck in my face
at parties when I dare to reveal I'm a linguist - might as well go to
your stock club [or have they all disbanded?] and tell  them you're a
liberal), and don't seem to give a whack about the ones gained.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages