debate on "you did good"

Jewls2u Jewls2u at WHIDBEY.COM
Wed Aug 15 14:53:39 UTC 2001

This morning as I finished making my pot of coffee, my two year old
exclaimed, "You did it! Mama made coffee! Good job!"
When I have heard or used "you done good" or "I done good" it's been as a
compliment. An atta-girl or atta-boy, when you want to say "good job" but
not be over the top about it. Generally in a professional situation, but
also in doing a good deed. Where you feel good about what you did, or what
was done, but a certain amount of humbleness is appropriate.

Julienne
-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Beverly Flanigan
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 2:41 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: debate on "you did good"

I can't at the moment think of another such example of "confusion" between
adjectives and adverbs.  My point is that there's no confusion in intended
(or received) meaning with 'good'; the adverb 'well' is simply becoming
'good' in more contexts.  The first language people are hung up on
"propriety," it seems to me; only the traditional grammar-book notions
apply.  Ironically, only the second writer, Annette Karmiloff-Smith, seemed
to recognize that 'good' could be an adverb when she observed a child
saying, in the comparative, "I did better."  The child clearly didn't
interpret 'good' as a noun = 'a good thing'!  Therefore I wouldn't say the
child learned a "wrong" form at all when it made the right interpretation
of meaning.