"It says here"

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 16 16:00:54 UTC 2001

Paul Ivsin wrote:
>Can "it says here" be used to mean "I predict" or "it stands to reason"?

It says here that it can be...

>Is this a regional expression?  Only in sports?  The context of the two
>examples below make it clear that "it" does not have a concrete referent
>(that is, there is no written text being read).

Seriously, I believe that I've heard the expression used also in
non-sports contexts, but from sports-type columnists, if that makes
any sense. In other words, it's in informally-written opinion
columns. I wouldn't be surprised, for instance, to find it in
something by Mike Royko or Pete Hamill.

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963