"Butterfly" stroke (PIC, July 1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 20 19:19:42 UTC 2001

   The NYPL doesn't have PIC, but I discovered that Columbia University does.  The last two years (1947 and 1948) appear to be missing.  I found some interesting stuff. The first years were just pictures, but the periodical expanded to articles about Hollywood, Broadway and sports.
   From PIC, July 1937:

Pg. 24:
_THE BUTTERFLY . A NEW STROKE_

Pg. 25:
THE BUTTERFLY
This stroke was first used in competition by Henry Meyers, a New York schoolboy.  In 1933 he swam the 100 yards in 1 minute, 5 seconds.  The stroke is for speed in sprints only.  It is too tiring for long distance swimming.

(OED has 1936, but gives no origin--ed.)