present for future conditional

Paul Ivsin paul at IMPLICATURE.COM
Thu Aug 23 11:22:20 UTC 2001

Two more "if (s)he runs, (s)he wins" examples, also in the context of
politics.

1. "Technocrat Injects Politics of the Unusual"
Washinton Post
June 1, 1998

A few seasoned politicians crowned Williams as the front-runner yesterday,
saying he speaks most directly to those who yearn for a city government that
works. Kathy Patterson (D-Ward 3) predicted flatly: "If he runs, he wins."

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/library/dcelections/candidat
es/williams060198.htm

2. "In Case She Wants Some Free Advice"
Time
March 1, 1999
GERALDINE FERRARO, former Congresswoman: As a Democrat, I would love it if
Hillary were to run. Not only is she right on the issues, but if she runs,
she wins--and generates such a large turnout that she helps Democrats in
every race.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/printout/0,8816,20164,00.html