Taco (1927 sightings)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 2 01:07:39 UTC 2001

BRIMSTONE AND CHILI:
A BOOK OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCES IN THE SOUTHWEST AND IN MEXICO
by Carleton Beals
Alfred A. Knopf, NY
1927

Pg. 112 (Chapter on CAJEME):
   Late that afternoon--the purple waters of Guaymas Bay, and Empalme.  Just outside the station we spent out twenty centavos for several _tacos_, with chili, and coffee; then walked through the tree-shaded town.

Pg. 115:
   Calling to one of the vendors swarming on the platform, we invested our twenty-five centavos in _tacos_ and oranges--our first food of the day.  Our purchases attracted a number of urchins, who came up all agog to the door of the box car to stare and question.

FRANCES TOOR'S GUIDE TO MEXICO
Printed in Mexico City for 1933

Pg. 15:
   The _tacos_ are the Mexican sandwiches, rolled in _torillas_ instead of between bread.

(No special mention is made in this book of Rio Frio or any other Mexican town specializing in "tacos."  I went throught Toor's A TREASURY OF MEXICAN FOLKWAYS (1947), but it's not interesting for its food.  "A RECIPE FOR MOLE AND TURKEY" is in his magazine MEXICAN FOLKWAYS, vol. 3, 1927, pages 238-239.--ed.)

TACO MISC.

   CARPENTER'S WORLD TRAVELS: MEXICO by Frank G. Carpenter (Doubleday, Page & Co, Garden City, NY 1924) has a chapter on "FOOD AND DRINK BELOW THE RIO GRANDE, pages 171-181.  "Taco" is never mentioned.
   I'll try to look at the MEXICAN HERALD (1890-1915) and the MEXICAN POST (1921-1922) in the Library of Congress on Monday.  These were English language newspapers published in Mexico City.
   The NYPL has MODERN MEXICO (a weekly edition of the MEXICAN HERALD) up to 1909.  "The Maguey and Pulque" is in February 16, 1909, pg. 1; "Making of Cocoanut Pulque" is in March 23, 1909, pg. 5; "Seeing Mexico City" ("turista") is in May 25, 1909, pg. 6.