for to

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Mon Dec 3 15:38:36 UTC 2001

From:    Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU>
: >From:    Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU>

: >: Offer this use of the infinitive marker "for to," heard from
: >: George W. last August and gleefully written down (because I
: >: like it):  "[the government] trusts citizens ... for to meet
: >: their health care needs."  Good South Midland usage, if a bit
: >: archaic.

: >Archaic?!? Me?! But...but... :-)

: Good!  Where are you from?...

Grew up in Waldorf, Maryland (23 miles SSE of Washington DC, northern edge
of Charles County), born 1970.

My wife, born 1971, grew up in Aberdeen, Maryland (about a half hour north
of Baltimore, Maryland, in Harford County), most definitely does *not* have
it.

<snip>

David Bowie                                   Department of Linguistics
Assistant Professor                            Brigham Young University
db.list at pmpkn.net                                   http://pmpkn.net/lx
   The opinions stated here are not necessarily those of my employer