DEE-fense

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Dec 3 19:45:41 UTC 2001

        I have to admit that when I first saw this email, I was completely
flummoxed by it, to the point of wondering if it were a joke.  I say poLICE
and inSURance, but it was inconceivable to me that Tennessee could be
pronounced any way other than TENnessee, whether or not preceded by
SOUthern.  SouTHERN TenNESsee just didn't sound plausible.  I had to consult
the online American Heritage to realize that some people actually say
TennesSEE.

John Baker