n-word

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Sun Dec 9 05:22:58 UTC 2001

Some years ago, I got in terrible trouble because I said the "n-word" in
what I innocently thought was an entirely appropriate way.  WARNING: I use
that word in what follows because I am talking about it as a word.  It is
one of many words I only use when talking about them as words.

I had asked students in a course on ethnographic fieldwork to find and
critically analyze some ethnographic monograph in which the author devoted
attention to how fieldwork affects the ethnographer.  In class, they said
they were having trouble finding the kind of book I had in mind and asked
me for suggestions.

I rattled off half a dozen titles or so before I fell into a hole that it
took me weeks of class to escape.  I started my descent into the inferno by
mentioning
Bronislaw Malinowski's field diaries, which I immediately regretted. I
explained by saying "No, I take that back, that wouldn't be a good one.
That's the one where Malinowski calls the Trobriand Islanders 'niggers'."
I thought that made it clear that I objected to Malinoski's language AND
his attitude toward his informants, and I didn't want my students to have
to deal with such problems for the purposes of this assignment.  (Yes, he
did use that word.  Repeatedly.) Then I went on to name some more books
that would be appropriate for that class.

Nothing happened immediately.  Ten minutes later, however, an African
American
woman in the class exploded with objections. She said she'd never heard
"the n-word" used in a college classroom or in her graduate studies. She
found my quotation of the word so unsettling that she felt she had to stop
the class to object.

Ooops.

I'm afraid I made things worse, not better, by pointing out that I'm used
to talking about words in the classroom  even when they are words I don't
use when speaking in my own voice.  (I offered the examples of "fuck" and
"shit" -- words I would not consider using in a classroom UNLESS I was
considering them as words rather than using them as expressions of my
feelings.)  I pointed out that it is literally true that Malinowski used
the word "nigger" in his diaries, and I was referring to that fact, not
joining him in his application of the word.  I said that was precisely why
I could NOT recommend that students use that book for the purposes of my
assignment.

Then I compounded my own error by considering two controversial instances
where I think there is some point to using that particular -- and
particularly objectionable -- word.  One is in Huckleberry Finn.  For me,
the apotheosis of the whole book comes in Huck's reflection that if he was
going to go to hell for considering Nigger Jim to be a human being, then he
was just going to have to go to hell.  The other is the scene in Showboat
(as originally staged and filmed), where a white man about to be arrested
for the crime of having married a black woman who passed for white cuts his
wife and sucks up some of the resulting blood.  Just as the sheriff is
about to arrest him for miscegenation, he says
"ask anybody here: I got nigger blood in me, too".

At the same time, I pointed out that there is another use of the word
"nigger" in Showboat that makes no point, does not advance the story, and
is quite properly excised in latter-day versions of the show.  That's the
objectionable line "Niggers all work on the Mississippi" in the song "Old
Man River".

Looking back at how I grew up, both literary cases I cited in class were
extremely powerful in shaping my own resistance to racism -- a resistance
so strong that I've endangered my livelihood and my social position (and
actually lost more than one job) by fighting its manifestations.  (I've
also been beaten up badly enough to need hospitalization, and my life has
been threatened, because I don't accept racial discrimination when there's
a chance to stand up against it. I first got in trouble about that as a
fifth grader, when I objected to the U.S. "internment" -- I said, properly,
"imprisonment" -- of people of Japanese descent nearly 60 years ago, and
I've been in social trouble lately for objecting to our current mountains
of discrimination against Moslems and people whose ancestors came from
Southwest Asia.)

All right, I was dumb in class that day.  And dumbfounded. And I really
compounded my error.  But until that day I had never considered using such
euphemisms as "the n-word", "the f-word", and the like when talking about
words as words.

The student who found my quotation so objectionable took her complaint to
her advisor (not in my department).  Luckily, the advisor knows me well;
she counseled the student to continue in my course and suspend judgment for
a while. I guess the judgment came out in my favor: the student later asked
me to serve on her doctoral committee. (I was delighted to do so. Her
dissertation really was good, too.)

-- mike salovesh   <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>   PEACE !!!