Southerns vs. southerners

hstahlke at ATT.NET hstahlke at ATT.NET
Tue Dec 18 17:18:30 UTC 2001

I first came across "Southerns" in the writing of two of
my undergraduates this semester, both Lower North women
in their early twenties and from Central Indiana.  What
struck me with their usage was that it was in response
to Dennis Preston's essay "They speak really bad English
down South and in New York City" in Bauer and Trudgill's
Language Myths, where he uses the term "Southerners"
several times.  Even after I pointed out their usage to
them, they used it in their revisions.  I'm curious how
widely used "Southerns" is now.

Herb Stahlke