Chicago Etymology Revisited

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed Dec 19 05:36:47 UTC 2001

carljweber wrote:

> > Italian speakers often chuckle when they hear "Chicago." In Italian,
> > the  homonym for Chicago -- "ci cago" -- means "I crap there."
> >
> > Steve Boatti
> ---------------
> > I was told by a Portuguese gentleman that in Portuguese it sounds
> > like "he crapped on himself" -- of course when spoken with Portuguese stress
> > and vowels.
> >DMLance

In Mexico's southeast corner, the state of Chiapas, I heard the cognate
Spanish pun on the last two syllables in a wild variety of jokes about my
home.  When folks tired of that one, they'd ask me if I'd ever considered
moving to the big city: chica go sounds so diminutive compared with go
grande.

-- mike salovesh   <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>   PEACE !!!