Barry Popik's work on "the Windy City"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Dec 20 18:49:11 UTC 2001

    I appreciate Carl J. Weber's interest in etymology and hereby
extend him  a formal welcome to our group. When I officially return
to work in two weeks, I look forward to examining his messages on
"Chicago" et al.

    Meanwhile, one clarification is in order. Barry Popik has already
unearthed most or all early attestations of "Windy City" in reference
to Chicago and posted them to ADS-L (available in the archives). A
few additional ones are contained in hard-copy material he sent to me
in pre-ADS-L days. I have compiled all that material in an article to
appear in the December 2001 issue of _Comments on Etymology_ (to be
mailed out in early January 2002). And since the material all comes
from Barry, I have listed him as the author.

     Any journalists who write on the "Windy City" might be interested
in consulting this article first; they need only ask, and it will be
sent with my compliments.

---Gerald Cohen