Mulligan (1900); Pina Fria (1910)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 24 23:56:03 UTC 2001

MULLIGAN

   David Shulman was reading George Ade's ARTIE (1896), when he looked at the back and found an advertisement for Clarence Louis Cullen's TALES OF THE EX-TANKS (1900).  How a book in 1896 can advertise a book for 1900, I dunno.
   Shulman, a meticulous reader, found lots in the first 20 pages.  I flipped through it and found "mulligan."  OEDS/RHHDAS has "mulligan" (stew) for 1904.  Shulman should take credit for finding it and Cullen's work.

TALES OF THE EX-TANKS:
A BOOK OF HARD-LUCK STORIES
by Clarence Louis Cullen
Grosset and Dunlap, NY
1900

Pg. 369:
   ...I was down at the foot of Clay street (San Francisco--ed.) buying Mulligans--which consist of red peppers mixed with steamed beer--for a large and admiring bunch of 'longshoremen.  They took turns telling me the stories of their lives, and then I'd purchase more Mulligans for 'em.  They'd edge up and give me lung-to-lung talk about what a nice, chile con carne proposition I was whereupon I'd order additional beakers composed of red peppers and steamed beer for them, and the dripped green boys for myself.

(That's Mulligan?...I suppose you want me to look for my "steamed beer" archives now--ed.)

PINA FRIA

IN CUBA AND JAMAICA
by H. G. de Lisser
Gleaner Company, Kingston
1910

Pg. 10:
   You ask for "pina fria," and he takes a pineapple and peals it and cuts it into large chunks and pounds it up with white sugar and ice and water, and hands the concoction to you in a huge, thick tumbler, and you find it delicious.

(Where's the rum?--ed.)