FW: New Britain, Connecticut

Fri Dec 28 18:23:58 UTC 2001

The "expected" medial consonant here would not be the flapped-t, which is
heard in 'butter', 'fatter', 'bottle', etc. in "ordinary" American
English.  The glottal stop IS common in 'mountain' and 'mitten', and not
just in CT; but the alternate form is [t], as in NYC, if I'm not
mistaken.  But does NYC use [t] in 'bottle'?  Surely not the glottal stop,
which is used in this word in much Brit. Eng. but not in Am. Eng., as far
as I know.

The words I cite in class as "disputed" in Am. Eng. are generally proper
names, like Clinton, Scranton, Hinton, etc., where spelling pronunciation
tends to produce [t] medially (foreign reporters routinely pronounce the
first ex. with [t], RP style).  New Britain would fall under this same
rubric.  It doesn't seem to me that 'mountain' and 'mitten' and 'button'
etc. are regionally differentiated outside of NYC/NJ--but I'm open to
disputation.