Medial -/t/- (was New Britain, Conn)

Sat Dec 29 18:09:49 UTC 2001

Alice,

Say it isn't so! Intropection rules. I think the preceding /n/ (in
"Clinton") is et up by its nasalization of the preceding vowel and
the block on the glottal stop replacement of /t/ is removed.

I also suspect that you are right about stigmatization. It isn't
stigmatization of the glottal stop unless it's in an intervocalic
posiiton. When the glottal stop is a rapid "onset" to the following
syllabic /n/, I suspect there is no stigma. (I personally know this
must be the case becuase I do the latter but not the former, and who
would stignmatize my 1940's endowed Louisville, KY speech?)

In such processes, however,m there may be ,lixically-nased
stigmatization. The 'bidnis' pronunciation (of "business") is highly
sitgmatized where I'm from, even by people who have uttered "wadn't,
"idn't" and the like commmenting on it. Similarly, 'hep" for "help"
is highly stigmatized (although vocalization of /l/ with a trace
vowel left behind is not. On the other hamnd, complete loss
(admittedly in l+C environments, like "woof" for "wolf," which always
makes my funny-talking Milwaukee wife turn to me and say "bow-wow")
lacks such stigma.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston