Cuban Cocktails and much more (long!)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 31 20:02:29 UTC 2001

   Happy new year and greetings from Havana, Cuba.  I fly home tomorrow, January 1st.

CUBA SI--"Cuba Yes!"  A popular slogan.
!VIVA LA REVOLUTION! 1959-2002 43 ANOS DE VICTORIAS--A sign outside the Hotel Nacional.  It's sad.  We should be friends.  The Cuban people themselves have been friendly to Americans.
BOTELLA--To ride or hitch-hike.
JINETERA--Prostitutes.
MARICON--A gay person.
TORTILLERA--A lesbian.  The tour guide smacked/clapped his hands to show that two lesbians are like two tortillas.  (FWIW:  There are only two Mexican restaurants here.  The Mexican influence is surprisingly small--ed.)
GRANDMOTHER'S SOUP--Served at the popular El Aljibe restaurant (founded 1946) that I ate at last night.  Grandma didn't give me the recipe.
CREOLE MOJITO--The suggested drink at the El Aljibe.
SLOPPY JOE'S--It's too bad that it went bust in the 1940s, or it would still be here.  There's no trace of the famous bar in today's Havana.  I was told that it was located near my hotel.
FLORIDITA--The place is still around, near my hotel and at the end of the main drag.  It claims to be the home of the daiquiri.
SANDWICH CRIOLLO--Their name for the Cuban sandwich/hero/sub or what have you.

   BAKERY ITEMS (illustrated outside a bakery in Havana):
PAN FRANCES
MANZANITA
CANGREJITO
LUNCH
ROSA
DULCE
ROLLY
TORCIDA
PULMAN
CARACOL
TARTALETA
CUNARTA
KAKE

   From the HAVANA EVENING TELEGRAM, 28 January 1933, pg, 1, col. 7 ad:

   TRY
CUBA-LIBRE
Bottled in Splits
Ironbeer mixed with
Bacardi Rum
Peppy and Invigorating

   These cocktails are served at the HOTEL TELEGRAFO (right next to my Golden Tulip Hotel at the Central Park):
LIMONADA CLARETE
PRESIDENTE
MARTINI SECO
CHARLES CHAPLIN
COMPARI ORANGE
SANGRIA
CUBA LIBRE
HABANA ESPECIAL
DAIQUIRI FRAPPE
CUBATA
MOJITO
SCREW DRIVER
CUBANITO
MARGARITA
RON COLLINS
PINA COLADA
BRANDY ALEXANDER
DAIQUIRI PAPA HEMINGWAY
CAIPIRINHA (When oh when will OED add this?--ed.)
BLACK RUSSIAN (Probably a 10-year OED wait--ed.)
WHITE RUSSIAN
VOLDKA (sic) MARTINI
VOLDKA TONIC
   NON-ALCOHOLIC:
SAN FRANCISCO (Appears to be the most popular "mocktail" here--ed.)
ENSALADA DE FRUTAS

   The EL BAR at the HOTEL NACIONAL DE CUBA was kind enough to give me its drink menu:
COCTELES CLASICOS CUBANOS:
COCTEL NACIONAL--($3.50 U.S.) rum, apricot brandy and pineapple juice
MOJITO--rum, sugar, lemon juice and soda
DAIQUIRI--sugar, lemon juice and rum
CUBA BELLA--grenadine, mint, lemon juice, silver dry rum and old rum
BELLO MONTE--grenadine, cacao, sugar, lemon juice, rum and mint
CUBANITO--lemon juice, salt, tabasco, tomato juice and rum
HAVANA SPECIAL--rum, marraschino and pineapple juice
PRESIDENTE--vermouth, curacao and rum
MULATA--sugar, lemon juice, cacao and old rum
CUBA LIBRE--rum and coke
CENTENARIO--lemon juice, grenadine, triple sec, coffee liquor silver dry rum and old rum
COCTELES INTERNACIONALES:
PINA COLADA
MARTINI
NEGRONI
MARGARITA
SCREW DRIVER
AMERICANO
MANHATTAN
CAIPIRINHA
COCTELERIA ESPECIAL:
AMARETTO ROSSO--jugo de naranja, ron 3 anos, amaretto, ron 7 anos
COCTEL DEL SIGLO--jugo de naranja, mandarinetto, ron 3 anos, angostura
COCTEL 70 ANOS--jugo de pina, ginebra, ron silver dry, curacao rojo
SAMURAI--jugo de melocoton, jugo de naranja, Grand Marnier, Silver Dry
COCTEL 1930--ron 3 anos, ginebra, jugo de limon, curacao azul, triple sec

IL MIO RICETTARIO DI
COCKTAIL CUBANI
Ramon Pedreira Rodriguez
Editorial Arte y Literature, Havana
87 pages, paperback, $4
1998
   Bought at the Hotel Nacional gift shop, but not seen elsewhere.  Only in Spanish.  It's a little long for this post so I'll discuss the contents at another time, or if anyone is curious.