prescriptivism, conventions, & JFK Jr.

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Feb 1 18:43:55 UTC 2001

On Thursday, February 01, 2001 Beverly Flanigan wrote

> Except for those who seem to want to revive the "good old days" of
> prescriptivism.  Another example, just heard this morning on NPR, is "Of
> what exactly is Wahid accused?" (from Scott Simon or whoever anchors the
> weekday morning show).  He's also said things like "From where does he
> come?"  Ugh!

That doesn't bother me at all.  It's formal-sounding, but in the context,
that register most likely fits.  (I'm guessing about this; I didn't hear the
piece.)  And having 'accused' as the last word in the question gives it more
force, making it more effective.  However, your second example is a whole
nother thing:  it sounds almost unidiomatic.

Victoria

 Victoria Neufeldt
1533 Early Drive
Saskatoon, Sask.