Sp bien/bueno (was:prescriptivism, conventions, irony, and could(n't) care less

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Feb 2 06:16:11 UTC 2001

> Do some Spanish speakers use something like "Estoy bueno [de salud]", the
> way some English speakers say "I'm good" in this context?
> -- Doug Wilson

Nope, estoy bueno is not something a native speaker of any variety of
Spanish would ever say except, perhaps, to imitate a gringo.

The distinction I make between I'm good and I'm well is that to me I'm good
means that I'm feeling okay about things in general and I'm well means that
I am in good health. But maybe I've been wrong about this all along.

Paul
Paul Frank
English translation from German, French,
Chinese, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Dutch
Snailmail: 74500 Thollon, Haute-Savoie, France
paulfrank at post.harvard.edu | US fax +1 509-752-9444