words out, words in

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Feb 2 14:52:15 UTC 2001

I recall one right now (of course it depends on what is meant by "dropping
out" -- not used at all? for how long?).  That's 'copacetic'.  It was pretty
common in the first half of the 20th century, and was entered in the first
Webster's New World Dict in early 50s.  Then it seemed to vanish from
everyday speech and so was dropped for the second college edition, which
appeared in 1970.  It became popular again in the 70s and 80s and so was
reinstated for the 3rd edition, 1988.  I'm remembering this from some time
ago, and my times may be a bit off, but that's the gist of it.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
1533 Early Drive
Saskatoon, Sask.