words out, words in

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Feb 2 15:28:12 UTC 2001

> There
> are many other examples, such as the verb to ignore meaning to be ignorant
> of, which became obsolete by 1700, though it was occasionally used later,
> and know means something quite different.

Oops. I meant to write now instead of know. To make up for it, here are a
couple more examples culled from the OED. According to the OED coupon was
obsolete at one point and was reintroduced from French. By the late
nineteenth century fool used as an adjective (as in "fighting is a fool
thing" - OED quotation from 1681) was obsolete in standard English in the
UK, though it was still found in some dialects. The OED has the following
1951 citation from Wyndham's Day of Triffids: "You never can tell what fool
carelessness may go on." Words to live by.

Paul