how do you pronounce " pulitzer prize "

Fri Feb 2 17:28:29 UTC 2001

At 11:41 PM 2/1/01 +0800, you wrote:
>At 7:59 PM -0500 2/1/01, sagehen wrote:
>>  >Peter R. writes:
>>  >You're right. Brer Pulitzer is alleged to have pointed to his nose and
>>>said to his interlocutor, "Pull it, sir!" in response to the query about
>>>his name.
>><><><><>
>>This story has a funny smell.  I suspect a contemporary insult perhaps
>>invented by a rival journalist.  But maybe I only feel that way since I say
>>"Pewlitzer," as most people did 50 years ago. Happy to know that Jane has
>>been hearing it.  [Wonder if Juan Williams also says "cewlinary," as I do;
>>that one seems to have bit the dust, too.]
>>A.Murie
>
>They don't necessarily pattern together.  I've always been a
>"pull-it-sir" but "kew-linary" speaker, and like dInIs I would find
>it impossible to give up the former after my first encounter with the
>"pullet surprise" (courtesy of Fromkin & Rodman, first edition).
>
>larry

"Pullet surprises" are still cited in the F & R 6th ed., which we use in
our Intro. to Ling. for undergrads.  But they give credit to Amsel Greene,
who in 1969 collected examples of students' morpheme reanalysis.  My
favorite is "She tried many reducing diets but remained
indefatigable."  And of course the title is from "In 1957 Eugene O'Neill
won a Pullet Surprise."