prescriptivism, conventions, irony, and could(n't) care less

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Feb 2 21:40:24 UTC 2001

Lynne writes writes:

Now, on a tangentially related topic, I've come to realize that Englishfolk
frequently don't 'get' US ironic or self-deprecatory use of non-standard
forms and ascribe all instances to the lack of a standard (or the
'degradation' of the standard in the US).  A couple of Englishpeople have
complained to me that, while assuring me they like US English, they can't
take it that (not 'when' but 'that') Americans use adjectives where they
should use adverbs (and at least one of them expressed fear that this is
coming into US English).  The example they cite?  "You did/done good" (as
heard on 'Friends' or 'Frasier' or whatever).  Now, when I say "you done
good", there's a humor about it--it involves friendly encouragement as well
as a bit of self-consciousness about making the compliment.  Now,this is
not to say that all people use it this way, but I think there is a
difference for a lot of people in the contexts and meaning involved when
one says "you did/done good" and "you did well".  Or am I living in an
idiolectal fantasyland?
<<<<<

Hi, neighbor. I used "you/we done good" and "... did well" with just that
contrast.

-- Mark