prescriptivism, conventions, &c.

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Feb 2 21:56:47 UTC 2001

A. Murie (sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>) writes:

     [...] Another hypercorrection  of the reverse kind that I not only
hear but see in print increasingly is: "So-&-so and I"  instead of "So-&-s0
and me"  as objects of verbs or  prepositions. "She spoke to Bob and
I"...."He invited Mary and I."  The "and" seems to kick in a reflexive
*don't-use-/me/*  that I attribute to ill-understood corrections  from
teachers.
<<<<<

More specifically, "don't use 'X and me'", which applies to the subject
function but is overgeneralized, I suspect by people who don't understand
subject vs. object (and maybe thanks to teachers who don't teach the
concept effectively).

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
                     (speaking for myself)