Mooseburger (1961); Beef Wellington (1967 cite)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 4 00:33:02 UTC 2001

MOOSEBURGER

   Some OED editor suggested I look into "Mooseburger."  I do all this work, and he gets to hang out with two young girls.  Life ain't fair.
   From THE BURGER COOK BOOK (200 Recipes for the All-American Favorite and Other Ground Meat Dishes) (Rand McNally & Company, Chicago, 1961), by Ruth Ellen Church, pg. 45:

MOOSEBURGERS   16-20 SERVINGS
   Venison burgers and elkburgers taste wonderful this way, too.  The sausage keeps the meat moist and flavors it.
3 pounds ground moose meat
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon or more minced onion
   Shape mixture of ingredients into patties and fry, broil, or grill until brown on both sides.
   (Except for steaks and chops, our hunting cousins turn all their big game into burgers.  There's then no question of lack of tenderness or dry texture.  Besides, the whole family prefers burgers to steaks!  Our cousins fill their freezer with these, after hunting season, and we invite ourselves over for a mooseburger feast.)

Pg. 42:
SLOPPY JOES  12-16 SERVINGS
   Also known as spoonburgers and scoopburgers, these are the popular "loose" kind.  The mixture may be frozen for use as needed, and it is good mixed with spaghetti, macaroni, or rice, too. (...)

Pg. 130:
JOHNNY MAZETTI  8-10 SERVINGS
   For years this Italian casserole has been a family favorite dish. (...)

   Maybe Beef Wellington comes from New York City?

THE CATTLEMAN'S STEAK BOOK
Best Beef Recipes by
CAROL TRUAX
Random Remarks and Rhymes by
S. OMAR BARKER
Grosset & Dunlap, New York, 1967
Produced in Cooperation with
THE CATTLEMAN RESTAURANT
The Cattleman, 5 East 45th Street, New York
Cattleman West, 154 West 51st Street, New York

Pg. 66:
   BEEF WELLINGTON
(Filet de Boeuf en Croute)
(Recipe follows--ed.)