Blinis (1860); Continental Breakfast (1860)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 4 01:09:17 UTC 2001

BLINIS

   The OED has the blintz under "blin," from 1889.
   I've got two 1920s Russian cookbooks coming over from the NYPL annex, so the request will go out Monday, it'll come on Tuesday when I work, and I'll check it out on Wednesday.
   This is a Russian cookbook--in French.  It's really wonderful.  This "blini" has got to count for something.
   FWIW, no "Stroganoff."

LA
GASTRONOMIE
EN RUSSIE
par
A. PETIT
CHEF DE CUISINE DE SON EXCELLENCE MONSIEUR LE
COMTE PANINE, MINISTRE DE LA JUSTICE
   PARIS
CHEZ L'AUTEUR, 18, RUE MARTEL
1860

Blinis.  98
--de sarrasin.  98
--creme de riz. 101
--de gruau. 105
--au kache de sarrasin.  102
--de pommes de terre.  103
--de pommes de terre a la levure.  103
--a la semoule.  101
--aigre-doux.  104
--livoniens.  105
--a la farine de ble de Turquie.  105
--au parmesan.  106
--rouges aux carottes.  106
--aux chabots.  107
Bortsch polonais.  33
--de petite Russie.  57
--au poisson.  64
(...)
Mousse a la russe.  191
(...)
Petits pates de blinis aux truffes.  73
--moldaves.  90
(...)
--moscovites.  83

(There's also a "Charlotte Russe" here somewhere--ed.)

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST

   From THE INTERNATIONAL STEWARD, October 1957, pg. 56, col. 2:

   ...Hotel Statler, one of the four great Hilton Hotels in New York City, has reorganized its Cafe Manhattan breakfast service, and is now offering an "old fashioned country breakfast" according to Thomas F. Troy, General Manager of the Hotel.
   A unique menu, a relic of the year 1860, has been reproduced as the cover of an old-fashioned newspaper named the "Cafe Manhattan Daily Sun."
   From a "continental breakfast" at $.90 to the "ironstone griddle," which offers a stack of golden wheat or huckleberry griddle cakes, pure New England maple syrup, and home-made sausage at $1.80, the menu advances to a "Dixieland special," with genuine Tennessee country ham steak, two fresh eggs, cooked to order, home fried potatoes with spiced apple ring, at $2.35.  Five hearty country breakfasts include a selection of home grown fruits or fresh juices as well as bakery favorites and beverages.

(The menu is shown in reduced size at the right of the page.  Is it for real--1860?  Continental breakfast in 1860?  Dixieland in 1860?  The song was played in NYC in 1859, but still, 1860 is early.  No source?  Looks about as real as those Shakey's menus from the 1890s--ed.)