Ess Eff; Transition Therapy; Dried Plums; Bad Dogs Court

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 4 06:54:32 UTC 2001

ESS EFF (S. F.)

   P. J. Corkery writes a column in the San Francisco Examiner (www.examiner.com) that's sort of like the late Herb Caen's style.  I e-mailed Corkery about Ken Burn's JAZZ and told him about the work of the late Peter Tamony.  Corkery contacted Jesse Sheidlower.
   As far as I know, Corkery didn't write the story.
   Corkery calls San Francisco "Ess Eff."  This is not in the RHHDAS.  "Frisco" is a no-no, but Ess Eff?  That's better??

(PRESIDENTIAL) TRANSITION THERAPY

   The Examiner did a story about Bill Clinton and titled it "transition therapy."  I always associated that with someone fired or laid off--not a two-term president.
   It's not in the online OED, but Barnhart probably has it.

DRIED PLUMS

   According to an Examiner story, "prunes" will now be called "dried plums."
   I still say it's spinach and to heck with it.

BAD DOGS COURT

   A woman in California was killed by a dog.
   The dog must be judged, and an Examiner story says the terms "bad dogs court" and "doggie judge" are being used.
   Am I glad I'm not assigned counsel there.  My client would be a real dog.
   The good thing is that if you're missing any filings, you can always say that the dog ate it.
   And if you win or lose the case, your client still ends up in the doghouse.