backformations (again)

Sun Feb 4 15:39:47 UTC 2001

>larry,

Congratulations on exposing yourself as a member of the club which
believes that "morphological existence" is, at least from one
persepctive, a psycholinguistic  matter (or, to put it bluntly, stuff
in the heads of living speakers). I've always been amused when what
might be called historical precriptivists comment on the "fact" that
many speakers do not "know" that the mopheme "apt," for example,
"exists" in the word "inept," or that there is no such negative
prefix as "sac-" in, for example, sacrilegious (or, worse, that the
morpheme "religious" does NOT exist in the word "sacrilegious"). How
many poeple have to have a morpheme in their heads before it is a
"real" one?

dInIs (who bets that the so-called nonexistence of "religious" in
"sacrilegious" is "known" to a pitiful minority)

PS: I hope this doesn't turn into one of those cut-off messages, in
which I simply congratulate larry for exposing himself.

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
preston at pilot.msu.edu