"Indian Country Radio" in NYT

ANNE V. GILBERT avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET
Sun Feb 4 18:42:38 UTC 2001

Frank:

Today's NYT has a good article in the Arts section titled"Indian Country Radio Sends a Strong Signal".  The following URL is what I picked up from the site -- I hope it works:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/04/arts/04ROBB.html

The article is very informative on a topic I was unaware of -- radio stations run and programmed by Indians, such as the Hopi and Navajo.

It also uses "Indian" consistently and without apology, and quotes Indians who say "Indian".

This is a topic I know little about, but it's my impression, FWIW, that very often the group of people we call "Native Americans" out of respect or political correctness, or whatever, refer to themselves as "Indians of the _______ tribe" as a way of identifying themselves.  "Indian", and "Indian Country" used in this way seem to be of "Native American" origin.  But I could be mistaken.
Anne Gilbert