Correcting emoticons and typing phonetic symbols in Word 2000: another solution (fwd)

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Feb 5 19:05:19 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:10:18 -0700
From: Keith Johnson <kej at U.Arizona.EDU>

        I know I'm not alone among
Word users frustrated by "smart" (ha!) tools that assume I want capital
I's and smiley faces instead of good, noble and true phonetic symbols!

My own strategy for correcting the [i] --> [I] is simply to highlight the
[I] and type [i].  I don't change the tool completely so that it doesn't
do it at all just because it's actually useful when writing normal text.

Keith