people of color

Indigo Som indigo at WELL.COM
Mon Feb 5 21:40:15 UTC 2001

"People of color" is alive & well, meaning people who are not white. I
understand that in the past it was more specific, meaning Black (or black,
or African American, or African, &c.) people. I think some people still
understand it that way. This is totally anecdotal, but fwiw: 8 or 9 years
ago we ran an ad for a housemate saying we were a "women of color"
household. We got several responses from older (to us, in our 20s at the
time -- they were in their 40s) African American women. In contrast, women
our age who answered the ad were of various different colors.

Indigo Som