people of color & Chicano

Wed Feb 7 14:04:57 UTC 2001

An interesting point. Of course real people (i.e., nonlinguists) will
pay attention to things which might not cross the minds of the
"dispassionate," and the improbability of "spic" deriving from
"hispanic" will have no force. We will all recall, however, the
degree to which "etymological justification" for "niggardly" played a
role in the eventual social and political "defusing" of that gaffe -
which the etymologically inclined felt was no gaffe at all and used
this argument with some success in media discussions, playing,
unfortunately, on folk definitions of what a word "really" means.

I believe monosyllabicity has already been brought up in connection
with this discussion, although that does not play a role in
"hispanic," "Chicano/a," "Latina/o," and the like, but note that it
is right on for the offensiveness of "spic."

dInIs (who suffered no monosyllables as a child [he was a "Hunkey"]
but grew up to be a "hick")

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages